Dr. Daria Davidson:
“Glutathione is considered by many researchers as the ‘Guardian of the Cell.’ It is the master anti-oxidant, antiinflammatory and detoxifier of our cells; it also supports many enzyme systems and the production of ATP, the energy currency inside of every cell in your body including your brain.” Dr. Davidson
“Glutathione is not found in a juice or a berry; it is not a vitamin or a mineral; Glutathione is actually a substance that is found in every living cell in your body such as the heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, eyes, ears, brain, muscle, skin, toenails. It’s how you were created. And Glutathione is as important to your cells as oxygen, food or water to survive. Glutathione is the master ‘Guardian of the Cell.’ It’s our life force in the following ways:
- It is the maestro of the immune system in your cells
- Significantly decreases inflammation
- Removes toxins from your cells
- Neutralizes free radicals
- Fuels ATP production
Glutathione is your body’s master antioxidant, responsible for the protection of vital cellular and genetic structures. Glutathione is produced by the body inside of each and every cell and it is needed for cellular survival. Unlike many other antioxidants, Glutathione can be recycled. It is also endogenous which means it is produced in the body, in contrast to antioxidants like Vitamin C or E that must be consumed.
Glutathione is part of specific detoxification and energy production pathways for which other antioxidants cannot be substituted.” Dr. TwoMoon
How does glutathione support cell function?
“In any given second there are tens of thousands of chemical and electrical reactions occurring inside our cells. Glutathione is a key factor in directly supporting many of those reactions as well as neutralizing free radicals and escorting toxins out of the cell. It is called the ‘Guardian of the Cell’ for good reason.” Dr. Davidson
Why should I care?
“Because people don’t have enough of it. Studies show that after the age of 18 to 20, your Glutathione levels drop 10 to 15% per decade. And low Glutathione levels are now linked to every minor to severe health challenge known to medicine.
Simply put, without adequate Glutathione we age faster and our cells cannot defend against the damaging effects of the multitude of assaults we encounter every day. Cell death soon follows. Unless our bodies have sufficient Glutathione to defend against the damage that toxins cause, our cells don’t stand a chance. It is not a matter of if your Glutathione levels will decline, it is a matter of when, how much and how fast.”
“Without adequate Glutathione our cells will struggle to do their work. It is a supply and demand equation. In our extreme and toxic world virtually all adults are living with a Glutathione deficit. It’s like using 87 octane gasoline in a car designed for 92 octane. Your body will run, just not that well.” Dr. Davidson
What will I notice on Max Products and how long will it take?
“Because every cell in your body needs Glutathione, and your body has its own wisdom, each person will experience something unique. Some people notice dramatic results very quickly; others will find a slower progression. Things like increased energy, improved focus, better endurance during athletic activities, better sleep, elevated mood and decreased chronic pain are commonly reported.” Dr. Davidson
“This is different for everyone. Many people notice changes with Max products in one to two weeks, however, the amount of stress your body is under, your toxic exposure and your overall health state will determine a lot. In fact, athletes who train hard may use up Glutathione faster than their body can make it. First, your body will go into repair and restore mode, putting things right that have become damaged or depleted.
After that has been done, the increase in Glutathione will be available for increasing cellular function. Some people may take up to three months to feel something, but remember, regardless of what you feel, these products are working. Dr. TwoMoon
“Many people notice better sleep, increased energy, enhanced mood and increased mental clarity and fewer ‘senior moments’. We also witness signifi cantly decreased infl ammation across a broad spectrum of tissues; pretty much any tissue that can get inflamed in our bodies can be effected positively by increased Glutathione levels. I have seen this effect in the nasal tissue, bronchial tissue, joint, bowel, muscle, and neurological tissue.
Just about any tissue that can be infl amed can be relieved of that infl ammation when Glutathione exerts its effect at the cellular level. Increasing Glutathione for the athlete can decrease muscle soreness, speed up recovery time, increase endurance and stamina as well as increase strength. And in my experience these effects can be as quick as the first few days although the average person would begin to notice them within one to three months.”
I feel fine now, why do I need to increase my glutathione level?
“The unfortunate truth is that the human body has begun to undergo accelerated changes as a result of unavoidable exposures to toxins, chemicals, and damaging foods we are now exposed to. In fact, cord blood of newborn infants has been found to contain 187 chemicals alone, and that is before they spend any time out in the world. And the consequence of all of this exposure is constant free radical damage to our
cells, our DNA, and every structure in our bodies. All disease is the result of this damage. Our bodies have natural defense systems, but they were not designed for what we currently face. Sixty years ago, with adequate diet, exercise, rest and stress management we could live long healthy lives, but so many things have changed that. Now we need strong nutritional support whether we are currently feeling the effects of depleted Glutathione or not.
The changes that result from low levels are not always obvious for 10-15 years and often they are silent until one day, things go wrong and you never quite recover. In my practice, it is common to see someone who was feeling fine two or three years ago and now feels like their body is falling apart all of a sudden. That is the reason to care about raising your Glutathione even if you feel fine.” Dr. TwoMoon
“Some people take Max products because they don’t feel fine. Something is already wrong. However, the vast majority of consumers use our products for anti aging, health maintenance and increased sports performance.” Dr. Davidson
Why hasn’t my Family Doctor told me about this?
“I have been in family practice for 34 years and there has been no mention of Glutathione since medical school biochemistry!
Never once have I heard Glutathione mentioned by fellow clinicians, consultants, pharmaceutical reps or in the new pharmaceutical literature because medical science has never had a direct way to significantly increase Glutathione levels until the Max products. Believe me, if we had this methodology sooner we all would have been hearing about it over the years.” Dr. Tarr
“Even though there are over 90,000 published medical and scientific articles published on Glutathione, most physicians don’t know enough about it to advise their patients on the importance of keeping Glutathione production robust. As a result of Max International, this is beginning to change and I suspect Glutathione will be a part of every physician’s vocabulary in the next few years.” Dr. Davidson
Who is our competition?
“Max has no real competitors at this time as it relates to raising and recycling Glutathione within the cell.
- Oral Glutathione is not effective because it is destroyed through the digestive process.
- Intravenous Glutathione and trans-dermal Glutathione creams do not have a way to bring Glutathione inside the cell where 98% of the Glutathione in our bodies is found, so they don’t provide for the best effects. Since our cells do not have a receptor for Glutathione, even when Glutathione is delivered into the blood or tissue it cannot be brought into the cell where it is needed. Furthermore, Glutathione circulating in the blood or present in tissue is broken down quickly and processed out of the body.
- Energy patches that claim to increase Glutathione are impossible for me to recommend because the critical, key, ratelimiting factor in Glutathione production is the availability of the intact cysteine molecule. Cysteine must be supplied either orally or intravenously, in a protected manner, for Glutathione production to occur.
- Whey protein, sometimes marketed as non-denatured whey protein, can be helpful due to the cysteine content in whey but it takes a lot of whey protein to deliver any significant intracellular benefit. It is minimally effective, often impure and difficult for those with dairy sensitivities.
By contrast, Max formulations have been clinically proven to raise intracellular Glutathione production up to 276%. Max formulations do not contain outside sources of Glutathione (or whey protein), Max’s patented methods for raising intracellular Glutathione deliver the needed precursor nutrients in a bio-available form to the cell so that the cell can use its own wisdom to synthesize intracellular Glutathione as needed. Furthermore, Max’s patented molecule, RiboCeine, allows for both Glutathione increase and ATP synthesis at the same time. In truth, there is no legitimate science based, reliable, natural, safe and effective way other than the Max Products to signifi cantly increase the production of intracellular Glutathione. As interest from the medical and scientific community and public awareness about the need for increasing Glutathione is rapidly accelerating, I suspect that a few “would-be” competitors will come on the scene.
Some have already made claims to raise Glutathione in the cell by similar levels. However, most products available cannot offer what I would consider legitimate science let alone human clinical studies to validate their claims (i.e. studies performed on mice cells in petri dishes in a controlled laboratory do not account for conditions within the human body including stress, environmental impact, diet, etc.) Max owns 25 years of research, 24 patents and patents pending and 17 peer reviewed articles where the research was funded by The National Institute of Health which government funded. To sum it up, increasing Glutathione in your body is the number one thing you can do to improve your health.
That is undisputed by decades of independent research. And RiboCeine, our trademark, is proven to be the most effective means of naturally increasing Glutathione inside your body. It is exclusive to Max with a padlock of patents that have given this company the platform for being the world’s top Glutathione research, development and deployment company.” Dr. TwoMoon
“When it comes to Glutathione, the best results I have ever seen from nutritional products such as whey protein and alpha-lipoic acid (or other combination products) has been an increase in intracellular Glutathione of perhaps 15 to 20%.
This may be helpful but certainly not dramatic. By contrast, Max formulations have been clinically proven to raise intracellular Glutathione production up to 276%. There is no real competition at this time, but, as is always the case in the free market, I suspect that the pretenders and the imitators will be appearing. I love real science and real results, and I love the fact that our science is patented and exclusive rights to our science belongs to Max International.” Dr. Davidson
I can purchase glutathione (GSH) pills or powder at my local nutritional store. How is this different?
“Glutathione or GSH pills or powder off the store shelf are insufficient to make any difference in body in regards to Glutathione production. The problem is with the structure of Glutathione itself; it is made of three amino acids, basically proteins. When proteins enter the stomach, our stomach acid breaks them down, which is its job. As a result, oral Glutathione never gets absorbed and therefore cannot change your Glutathione levels. In addition, even if it is absorbed into the body in small amounts, it does not ever cross the cellular membrane to reach the areas where it has its primary effect. By contrast, Max Products are designed to supply the necessary precursors to Glutathione in a formula with a patented intracellular delivery mechanism that allows the nutrients to make it thru the digestive system and enter the cell to be used to make Glutathione.” Dr. TwoMoon
Will this interfere with my medications?
“Any nutritional supplement should be reviewed with your healthcare provider. The vast majority of medications can be safely taken with Max products but each situation is unique.” Dr. Davidson
Are there any contraindications?
“The strongest contraindication would be for someone who has had an organ transplant and is taking anti-rejection medications. Since our immune cells use so much Glutathione, increasing Glutathione levels will cause a strengthening of the immune system. This is a delightful effect unless you are purposely depressing your immune system to keep from rejecting the transplant.” Dr. Davidson
Are there any side effects?
“Well, if feeling more alive and productive is a side effect, then yes, there are side effects. Like drinking good water and breathing fresh air, your body will be very happy with improved cellular health. If you have a lot of toxins inside you, there may be a short time when you feel a bit drab. If that happens to you, be glad you are moving those toxins out.” Dr. Davidson
“Most of these symptoms are extremely mild and temporary and are related to the natural detoxifi cation that occurs when Glutathione levels are rising and the body is fi nally able to mobilize and eliminate certain toxins that are in our cells. In a sense, our body has to adjust to these higher levels of Glutathione. These people may notice fatigue, headaches or even a change in bowels for a short period of time. I will say that those people who initially experience detoxifi cation symptoms are also the ones that commonly have the most dramatic overall experience.” Dr. Tarr
Can I get a blood test to measure Glutathione levels in my body?
“Yes, it is possible to get a blood test to verify the effect in your body. Some major labs offer this test although it is expensive. You can run an intracellular Glutathione test but also a HSCRP,
sedimentation rate, homocysteine level, and IGF-1. This way you can see the global effect rather than watching only one biomarker.” Dr. TwoMoon
What’s the difference between MaxGXL and MaxOne?
MaxGXL and MaxOne are both clinically proven to dramatically boost glutathione levels in the body but they do have some different characteristics. MaxGXL was developed by Dr Robert Keller who was voted as one of the top 2000 scientists of the 21st century. It is a unique formulation of Vitamin C, L-Glutamine, N-Acetyl Cysteine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. Plus a proprietary glutathione absorbtion and recycling blend: Cordyceps, N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine, Quercetin and Milk Thistle Extract. This formulation is so effective that it was granted a composition patent which is usually reserved only for drugs. It is clinically proven in a double-blind placebo controlled, crossover study to raise glutathione levels by an average of 292%.
MaxGXL is particularly supportive of the gastro-intestinal tract and recommended to help alleviate symptoms of inflammation or those with existing conditions. MaxOne was developed by Dr Herbert Nagasawa who served for 32 years as a Senior Editor for the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry and has published over 165 papers in peer-reviewed journals.
It contains RiboCeine, a patented combination of D-Ribose and L-Cysteine that fights oxidative stress and gives the body extra energy “on-demand” through the boosting of glutathione that is particularly popular with athletes.
MaxGXL: 6 a day, gluten free, contains mushroom & shellfish
MaxOne: 2 per day, gluten-free, Kosher, vegan, non-GMO
“The Greatest Scientific Breakthrough of Our Lifetime”
“Makes You Feel 20 Years Younger”
What if you could…
- Regain the boundless energy you had as a child – running around ‘just because’
- Guard your cells from the ravages of oxidation (basically cellular rust and decay)
- Turn on your body’s natural Fountain of Eternal Youth
- Get sick less often because your immune system is working at peak efficiency
- Enjoy numerous side benefi ts including … better sleep … reduced joint pain
- Spicing up your libido… detoxifying your body (including heavy metals)
- 17 documented scientific studies directly prove Glutathione delivers these benefits and then some.
- Finally… A New Breakthrough Boosts Your Glutathione Levels By 292%
Don’t be deceived. You can’t buy a Glutathione supplement at your local health food store that works. In the words of world renowned research scientist Dr. Nagasawa, “Glutathione is a fragile compound that cannot pass through the digestive system without being metabolized and rendered ineffective.”
The good news is that MaxGXL and MaxOne are the only nutritional supplements with a proprietary delivery system to deliver the component parts of Glutathione directly into the cells. Here your cells can assemble the pieces into active Glutathione and put it to work. A double blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over scientifi c study found that after only 60 days of using MaxGXL the average user increased their intracellular Glutathione levels on average by a whopping 292%.
Glutathione’s three major roles in the body are summarized by the letters A-B-C.
- Blood Booster
- Cell Detoxifier
These are the three critical processes driven by glutathione.
The Master Antioxidant
Over the past thirty years, researchers have explored the role of antioxidants in good health as well as the treatment and prevention of diseases involving oxidation or fermentation by metabolic acids. Well-known and widely used antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin E and selenium neutralize acid. They occur naturally in nature, but not in the body. They must be introduced as part of a balanced diet. Given the critical role of antioxidants in good health, it is not surprising that the body itself manufactures its own natural antioxidants. The most important of these is glutathione. Because all other antioxidants depend upon the presence of glutathione to function properly, scientists call it ‘the master antioxidant.’
Glutathione binds to toxins, forming a water-soluble complex – which is ultimately excreted in the urine or bile as waste.
Food for the Blood
Elevated glutathione levels enable the body to produce more white blood cells. White blood cells are the body’s garbage collectors and are the most important cells for maintaining sterility of the body fluids. Glutathione plays a central role in the proper function of the white blood cells. Dr. Bustavo Bounous, a leading glutathione expert, says, ‘The limiting factor in the proper activity of our lymphocytes (the white blood cells) is the availability of glutathione.’ In other words, healthy growth and activity of the white blood cells depends upon glutathione’s availability. Put simply, glutathione is ‘food’ for the white blood cells.
Whether we know it or not, we are continually inhaling and ingesting natural and synthetic acidic toxins. They are unavoidable in these modern times both in our polluted cities and our poorly engineered food supplies. When the body has the health and the nourishment it needs, it works tirelessly to eliminate acidic toxins and to protect itself. But, increasing levels of environmental pollution are depleting the body’s store of glutathione more and more rapidly. Our main organ of detoxification of acidic waste products is the lymphatic system and the liver.
This is the body’s most concentrated source of glutathione. Studies show that low glutathione levels lead to poor lymphatic and liver function, causing more and more acidic toxins to circulate through the body and resulting in damage to individual cells and organs. Medical doctors today routinely use glutathione-promoting drugs to detoxify victims of certain types of drug overdose.
Glutathione in Natural Medicine
Practitioners of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) have long advocated the use of milk thistle for liver problems. It turns out that this herb works by modestly elevating glutathione levels. The mineral selenium also produces subtle elevations in glutathione by becoming integrated into the glutathione peroxidase.
Glutathione in Traditional Medicine
Emergency medical doctors, toxicologists and lung and liver specialists are well acquainted with glutathione’s therapeutic uses. American physicians seeking ways to raise a patient’s glutathione levels can open the standard Physician’s Desk Reference (PDR) and find two options – the pharmaceutical drugs sold under the names Parlodex and Mucomyst, and the natural dietary supplement found in natural foods stores derived from whey protein isolate.
Drugs That Raise Glutathione Levels
Pharmaceutical drugs like Procysteine, OTC, OTX, Glutathione monoesters and Glutathione diesters have been used to raise glutathione levels. However, they all produce side effects and are unsuitable for long term use. This pharmaceutical nonnutritive chemical is used to break up mucus in lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis, chronic bronchitis and asthma. It remains the standard treatment for acetaminophen overdose.
Glutathione in Health and Disease
It is believed that glutathione has an important role to play in the prevention and treatment of disease. It may in the future be considered as important to health as an alkaline diet, exercise and alkalin lifestyle. Clinical tests show that raised glutathione levels may address some of the eight major health issues of our time:
- Prevents heart disease – Shimizu H, Kiyohara Y, Kitazono T, Kubo M, Ibayashi S, Fufishima M, Lida M. Relationship Between Plasma Glutathione Levels and Cardiovascular Disease in a Defined Population:The Hisyama Study. Stroke. 2004Sep; 35(9):2072-7
- Prevents stroke – Paterson PG, Juurlink BH. Nutritional Regulation of Glutathione in Stroke. Neurtox Res. 1999 Dec; 1(2): 99-112.
- Prevents atherosclerosis – Coppola L, Grassia A, Giunta R. Glutathione Improves Hemostatic and Hemorrheological Parametersin Atherosclerotic Subject. Drugs Exp. Clin Res 199 18:493-98
- Reverses artherosclerosis
- Prevents reperfusion injury
- Cancer causing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) have been found to alter levels of glutathione compounds in experiments, which may alter the body’s resistance to certain types of cancer. Glutathione deficiencies have been linked to many forms of cancer.
- Prevents cancerous tissue
- Suppresses tumor growth
- Eliminates carcinogen – acids
- Retards oxidative stress
- Prevents wasting disease
- Eases side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Glutathione is the most efficient free radical (acid) scavenger in the airways, and dozens of studies have confirmed that free radical (acid) damage is a primary player in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Rahman I, MacNee W. Oxidative Stress and Regulation of Glutathione in Lung Inflammation. Eur Respir J. 2000 Sep; 16(3):534-54.
- Breaks up mucus – Rahman I, MacNee W. Oxidative Stress and Regulation of Glutathione in Lung Inflammation. Eur Respir J. 2000 Sep;16(3):534-54
- Cystic fibrosis – Glutathione neutralized harmful oxidants introduced into the lungs or those released by cells. Exotoxins from bacteria can overload the endobronchial terrain and feed the fires of acidic inflammation. This staggering burden increases the oxidative sensitivity of the CF lung, resulting in further injury of lung parenchyma. Data supports evidence of a decrease in the antioxidant tri-peptide glutathione (Roum JH, Buhl R, McElvaney NG, et al. Systemic Deficiency of Glutathione in Systic Fibrosis. J Appl Physiol 1993; 75:19-24).
- Chronic bronchitis
- Emphysema – Lamson, David, MD, Grignall, Matthew, ND. The use of Nebulized Glutathione in the Treatment of Emphysema: A Case Report. Altern Med Review. 5(5);429-431, 2000 Oct.
- Pulmonary fibrosis – Ishii T, Fujishiro M, Nakajima J, Teramoto S, Ouchi Y, Matsuse T. Depletion of Glutathion STransferase P1 Induces Apoptosis in Human Lung Fibroblasts. Exp Lung Res. 29(7);523-36, 2003 Oct-Nov.
- Glutathione is critically important to our brain as it is one of the most important brain antioxidants. Glutathione helps preserve brain tissue by preventing damage from free radicals (acids). In addition to quenching dangerous acids, glutathione also acts to recycle vitamin E, which also has the ability to reduce acidity in the brain. (Perlmutte D.BrainRecovery.com July 2004, 5th ed:13)
- Autism – Medical literature documents that an out-fection can lead to a lowering of glutathione which participates in detoxification, interacts with metallothioneins, and supports many crucial aspects of immunity. A link between glutathione and autism regression may derive from the fact that transient or chronic intestinal problems can impair an infant’s or toddler’s nutritional status, thereby minimizing the levels of aminoacids required for the production of glutathione (McCandless, J. Children With Starving Brains. 2003, 2nd ed; 252)
- Parkinson’s Disease – Glutathione helps to preserve brain tissue by preventing damage from free radicals (acids) and destructive chemicals formed by the normal processes of metabolism, toxic elements in the environment, and as a normal response of the body to challenges by acidic agents or other stresses. With the understanding that glutathione is important for brain protection and that this protection many be lacking in the brains of Parkinson’s clients due to glutathione deficiency, it can be seen as very beneficial. (Di Monte DA, Cahn P, Sandy MS. Glutathione in Parkinson’s Disease: A Link Between Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Damage? An Neurol. 32 Suppl; S111-115, 1992.)
- Alzheimer’s Dis-ease – Woltjer, R.L., Hgheim W., Maezawa I., Vaisar T, Montine K.S., Montine T.J., Role of Glutathione in Intracellular Amyloid-Alpha Precursor Protein/Carboxy-Terminal Fragment Aggregation and Associated Cytotoxicity. J Neurochem. 2005 May; 93 (4):1047-56.
- Huntington’s Disease – Choo Y.S., Mao Z, Johnson GV, Lesort M. Increased Glutathione Levels In Cortical Striatal Mitochondria of the R6/2 Huntington’s Disease Mouse Model. Neuroscience Letter. 2005 Sep 23; 386(1): 63-8.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Calabrese V, Scapaginini G, Ravagna A, Bella R, Butterfield DA, Calvani M, Pennisi G, Giuffrida Stella AM. Disruption of Thiol Homeostasis and Nitrostative Stress in the Cerebrospinal Fluid of Patients with Active Multiple Sclerosis: Evidence for a Protective Role of Acetylcarnitine. 2003 Sep; 28(9):1321-8. Mann CL, Davies MB, Aldersea J, Fryer AA, Jones PK, Ko Ko C, Young C, Strange RC, Hawkins CP. Glutathione S-Transferase Polymorphisms in MS: Their Relationship to Disability. Neurology. 2000 Feb 8;54(3):542-7.
- ALS – Tohgi H, Abe T, Yamazaki K, Murata T, Ishizake E, Isobe C. Increase in Oxidized Products and Reduction in Oxidized
Glutathione in Cerborospinal Fluid From Patients with Sporadic Form of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Neurosci Lett. 1999 Feb 5; 260(3):204-6.
- Cataract formation
- Macular degeneration
- Cancers of aging
- Prostate problems
- Osteoarthritis – Hammarqvist F, Luo JL, cotgreave IA, Andersson K, Wernerman J. Skeletal Muscle Glutathione is Depleted
In Critically Ill Patients. Crit Care Med. 25(1):78-84 1997 Jan.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Peptic ulcer
- Detoxifies certain drug overdoses – Acetaminophen has been shown to reduce glutathione production, thus paving the way for enhanced brain destruction by metabolic acids. (Perlmutter D. July 2004, 5th ed:108)
- Detoxifies substances in cigarette smoke and auto exhaust – Rahman I, MacNee W.Lung Glutathione and Oxidative Stress: Implications In Cigarette Smoke-Induced Airway Disease. Am J Physiol. 277(6 Pt 1);1067-88, 1999 Dec.
- Detoxifies pollutants including heavy metals and pesticides – Elevated glutathione levels have been shown to protect tissue form lipid peroxidation created by exposure to certain metals. Consider infusions of glutathione to relieve the body burden of both neurotoxins and metal toxicity, including mercury. (Foster, JS. Kane PC, Speight N. The Detoxx Book. 2002;90)
- Prevents hearing loss from noise pollution
- Detoxifies many well-known carcinogens
- Natural antibiotic
- Anti-viral for AIDS, hepatitis, herpes, etc. – Low glutathione levels in HIV clients may contribute to their immune deficiency since glutathione plays an important role in the function of lymphocytes. Some lymphocytes require adequate levels of glutathione in order to function normally, and HIV induces oxidative stress that depletes the cells of glutathione. Townsend DM, Tew KD, Tapero H.The Importance of Glutathione in Human Disease. Biomed Pharmacother. 2003 May-June;57(3-4):145-55. Droge W, Holm E. Role of Cysteine and Glutathione in HIV Infection and other Diseases Associated with Muscle Wasting and Immunological Dysfunction. FASEB J, 11(13):1077-89 1997 Nov.
- Lyme Disease – Lyme disease is a seriously complex multi-system acidic inflammatory condition that is triggered by bacterial exotoxins. Glutathione helps to remove exotoxic and/or mycotoxic acids by forming a soluble compound with them, which can then be excreted through the urine or gut. (Can Glutathione Help Lyme Disease Suffers? Excerpt from: The Glutathione Report: Opitmal Health with the Master Antioxidant, Issue 4, Volume 1, May 2004).
- Chronic fatigue syndrome – An article in the journal of Medical Hypothesis proposed that glutathione, an anitoxidant essential for lymphocyte function, may be depleted in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients. Glutathione is needed for both the immune system and for aerobic muscular contraction. The authors proposed that glutathione depletion by an activated immune system also causes the muscular fatigue and myalgia associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Bounous et al. 1999).
- Athletic enhancement
- Decreases recovery time from physical stress
- Supports hemoglobin in kidney failure
- Diabetes – The blood and tissues of diabetics are marked by critically low glutathione levels. Glutathione depletion may have adverse consequences in diabetic clients independent of glycemic control, and it may weaken the defense against oxidative stress. De Mattia G, Bravi MC, Laurenti O, Cassone-Faldetta M, Armiento A, Ferri C, Falsano F. Influence of Reduced Glutathione Infusion on Glucose Metabolism in Patients with Non-insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus. Metabolism. 1998 Aug;47(8):433-8. Glutathione provides the body with tools to fight off these threats naturally. Healthy people also benefit from elevated glutathione levels through an enhanced ability to fight off acidic toxins, disease, precancerous cells and the aging process itself. Diminished glutathione levels are a symptom of aging and are particularly evident in such aliments as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. > Glutathione is also important to physically active people. Many world-class athletes are discovering that well-maintained glutathione levels gives them the edge over their competitors, bringing greater strength and endurance, decreased recovery time from injury, less muscle pain and fatigue, and muscle-promoting activity.
Putting It All Together
1) Medical science is still ascertaining all the critical roles played by glutathione in disease resistance and general good health. Clinical evidence links low glutathione levels to the most common illnesses of our time as well as newly emerging diseases.
2) As an essential aid to health, glutathione works as the master antioxidant in our body, optimizes the white blood cells and detoxifies a long list of pollutants and carcinogens or acids.
3) Pharmaceutical medicine has created drugs that do this very effectively. They have their uses in critical situations. But they also have side effects and repeated use is clearly inadvisable.
Aging – It is well known that aging is accompanied by a preciptous fall in gluathione levels. Lower glutathione levels are implicated in many diseases associated with aging including cataracts, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, atherosclerosis and others. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 47:1021-26, 1994.
Antioxidant Functions – Antioxidants are well documented and known to play vital roles in health maintenance and disease prevention. Glutathione is your cell’s own major antioxidant. Maintaining elevated glutathione levels aids the body’s natural antioxidant function. Biochemical Pahrmacology 47: 2114-2123, 1994.
Neurological Disease – Low glutathione levels have been associated with nuero-degenerative diseases such as MS (Multiple Sclerosis), ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease), Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. The Lancet 344: 796-798, 1994.
Cancer – Glutathione plays a role in eliminating many carcinogens/acids and also maintains and optimizes white blood cell function while providing stronger anti-acidic/anti-tumor defenses. Cancer Letters 57: 91-94, 1991.
Athletic Performance – Raised glutathione levels help increase strength and endurance. Those interested in physical fitness can benefit from a definite athletic edge. Journal of Applied Physiology 87: 1381-1385, 1999. Toxins, Pollution and Radiation – Glutathione detoxifies a variety of pollutants, carcinogens and poisons including many found in fuel exhaust and cigarette smoke. It also retards damage from radiation exposure due to the eroding ozone layer. Annual Reviews of Biochemistry 52: 711-760, 1983.
AIDS – Glutathione levels correspond to poor survival of AIDS patients. Much documentation demonstrates the role of enhanced glutathione levels in AIDS. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 94: 1967-72, 1997.
Heart Disease, Stroke and Cholesterol – Raised glutathione levels fight the oxdiation of fats circulating in the bloodstream including cholesterol, retarding the process of plaque formation in the arteries leading to most heart attacks and strokes. Nutrition Reviews 54: 1-30, 1996.
Diabetes – Diabetics are more prone to ‘out-fections’ and circulatory problems leading to heart disease, kidney failure and blindness. Glutathione protects against the complications of diabetes. Clinical Science 91:575-582, 1996.
Lung Disease – Doctors have used glutathione-promoting drugs to treat many lung diseases including asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphasema. New and potentially therapeutic roles can be found for cigarette smoke damage, pulmonary fibrosis and other illnesses. American Journal of Medical Science 307:119-127, 1994.
Digestive Disorders – Glutathione protects the body from inflammation of gastritis, stomach ulcers, pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Gut 42: 485-492, 1998.
Hepatitis – The liver is a major storehouse for glutathione. Glutathione is impaired in alcohol hepatitis as well as in viral (acidic) hepatitis including hepatitis A, B, and C. Raised glutathione levels help restore liver function. American Journal of gastroenterology 91: 2569-2573, 1996.
Kidney Dis-Ease – Those with kidney failure or on dialysis suffer from high levels of oxidative (acidic) stress and decreased glutathione levels. Raised glutathione levels help prevent anemia. Nephron 61: 404-408, 1992.
Pregnancy, Lactation and Childbirth – Glutathione’s role in fetal and placental develoment is critical. It also acts in the placenta to detoxify pollutants before they can reach the developing child. Many complications of pregnancy have been linked with poor glutathione levels. Early Human Development 37: 167-174, 1994.
Click on a video below to watch a short video explaining what how damage is a cell occurs and how then antioxidants are fixing it. Glutathione is the most powerful antioxidant there is which can recycle itself:
what are free radicals and antioxidants